Are you fresh out of school, armed with a Sciences degree and ready to get your first job in IT? Well, you’ll need to prepare yourself for some gruelling interviews.
The IT industry is rife with competition – after all, it is one of the most popular industries and just about every business, from small to multinational, requires some form of IT specialist on staff. Plus, you’ll have to contend with people from other countries as well, who may have far more experience and training than you.
So start polishing up your interview skills. You’ll need them.
Tips For The IT Interview
1. Study the requirements of the specific position you’ve applied for, and the technologies that you’ll be potentially working with. The interviewer will definitely ask you some specific questions regarding these to test your knowledge, so be prepared.
2. Improve your problem-solving skills. As an IT specialist, most of your time will most likely be devoted to solving problems related to the technologies in that business. Make sure you have the creativity, innovation and intuition to deal with these problems.
3. Keep very up-to-date with technological advancements in your field. IT is always evolving and improving, and you should never stop your education as soon as you graduate. Always remain on the cusp of technology, and be willing to continue your learning.
4. Flexibility is key – though your job may be in IT, it’s not all about that. You’ll need to be able to adapt according to what your company demands.
5. Dress neatly. Most IT jobs are white collar. You’ll need to wear a suit. It’s always best to over dress than under dress.